When embarrassment made me proud

Well, sometimes I feel that embarrassment is no greater than failure- since in both instances our confidence is distinctly broken. There is an exceptional amount of humiliation, and sometimes even defeat; However, one thing is strikingly alike in both of them, which makes them prominent: no one can ever break an individual after that. Also, the new layer of confidence which is made from defeat can carve an individual into a whole new hope. 

                                Last month, I was selected as a host for Instagram live for a well-respected educational institute. The live’s agenda was to interview a prime mentor, promising a great capacity of knowledge that is truly significant for the youths of our potential labour force. Honestly, since “I” was selected for such an inordinate cause, cockiness crawled onto me. To add more, as I was visiting my native town, the atmosphere was of enjoyment and comfort which made me take the live for granted. 

                               2 days prior to the live, there was a demo round where I was to be smelled of presumption and falsified boldness. I can even remember the mentor saying to me “I hope you are in pressure because pressure makes you work, and be humble,” which was certainly a warning, a warning to make me come on grounds but I had badly ignored it. Moreover, since days were remaining, I was procrastinating for amusement which was a short-term pleasure yet a wrong choice. 


                                 The day of Instagram live arrived.

                          

              I woke up and started prepping: the intro, publicizing, rapid fire round, Q&A round, announcement, and finally the end. To be honest, everything seemed to go well but somehow I wasn't able to learn the intro properly of the live. I practiced for it thoroughly, continuously reading it over and over. However, time was passing like a flash. And then, It was shortly the time.  


            Well, everything seems good to go now so I started the live. With a wide grin covering my face, I began. As soon as I started the intro, I caught my breath because I wasn’t able to recount even a single bit. I was stammering and faltering. I fumbled and ruined it so badly that I was tremendously embarrassed and ashamed of myself. Luckily, the rest of the live went very well. 

              

          Although it was an immensely embarrassing moment, I learned something that day. A learning that changed my perspective. Firstly, never make it go in your head; be humble. All the successful individuals in this world are humble, not egocentric,  making them work persistently. Secondly, always prepare yourself like you have still not mastered it. This way it shall bear you more fruits. 


          Lastly, take all of this in spirit. There is no loss after all; it's learning.                 

                           


                            


Comments

Popular Posts